Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pizza for bruch! (And Bento #7)

Breakfast of champions, right?  Yeah, had BBQ Chicken Pizza for brunch today.  it was tasty!


Anyway, got a bit behind on the blog posts at the end of this week, so time to catch up!

Thursday:


Dante's Bento:  Ritz, "Savory Rice Thins", Tofuna (More on this below!), Rice, Garbanzo Beans, Dante's Homemade Enchilada Sauce.


Mine: Same thing!

Overall, not the most colorful bentos, and I didn't finish mine, but they were (mostly) pretty tasty! Gotta say, I am NOT a fan of the rice crackers.  They have a really funky lingering aftertaste.  And I used too much enchilada sauce on my beans and rice, so that was a bit spicy for me, but very good, especially with some mozzarella cheese I happened to have in the fridge at work.

Now on to the star of these bentos, TOFUNA!!  Yes, sounds weird, yes, sort of a cult classic around here (ie- has a few very devoted fans and everyone else goes 'ewww!' without trying it), but delicious nonetheless.  Tofuna is a modification of a recipe Mom found in a cookbook.  I don't know what book or what the actual recipe was called, but I don't really follow it anyway.  My general recipe is something along the lines of:

  • 2 cans chunk light tuna in water 
  • 1/2 pack lite tofu cut into small pieces
  • Splash lemon juice (a Tablespoon or two- this is a "to taste" recipe!)
  • Couple tablespoons Miracle Whip Lite
  • Diced red/orange peppers
  • Sliced green onion (Make sure to wash all produce!!)
  • Garlic Salt (Or salt and garlic powder)
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Mozzarella cheese
Basically just whatever you've got around that looks good!  Mix it all up and serve on crackers or cut a pepper (red, orange, etc) in half, scoop out the seeds, fill with tofuna, top with a sprinkle of cheese, and pop in the oven for a few minutes.  Delicious.  And to all of you who go "Ewww, Tofu!!", you can't even taste it.  It just tastes like tuna.  :-p  So there.

Friday was the first day since I got my bentos that I haven't packed one for lunch!  It was kinda weird.  But I had Subway leftovers to use up.  So, had half a Turkey sub on Honey Oat.  Mmmmmm.  And some Red Vines, which are great in a gross waxy sort of way.  You know you know what I mean...

Otherwise, not much to report on the food front.  Cookies and pizza for dinner last night after going to the store to get fish and asparagus to cook up with my leftover rice.  Oops.  lol.  BUT.... Check out this handsome fella I came across while sampling the children's pond for larval mosquitoes with one of my coworkers!


 Isn't he adorable?!?  I love his curly little tail feathers!  He was super brave.  We were standing at the edges of the little pond in our Children's Garden, checking for baby mosquitoes, and he just swam right over to see what we were doing.  Then climbed out and started walking over!  He was literally two feet or less away.  It was awesome.  

Anywho... I think that's about it.  Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode...

-Rowan

No comments:

Post a Comment