Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Brisket Enchiladas and Flank Tacos!

So I'm a little late in getting this post up.  Anyway, I decided to make enchiladas and flank tacos last week.  The recipe is a variation on something I saw Guy F. do on Food Network.  I didn't really remember what kind of beef he used for the enchiladas, though. I decided to make it up.  Given that enchiladas are pretty "melty" anyway, I decided that brisket would be a good choice to use in the dish. 


The brisket meat was cooked in the slow cooker on "low" for 10 hours.  In the slow cooker I also placed  lime juice, diced onion, diced green peppers, liquid smoke, some butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder....

NOW... the brisket meat went into tortillas with a handful of shredded Mexican cheese.  The tortillas were rolled burrito-style and placed side by side in an oven-safe dish.  The tortillas were topped with a sauce that I made. 

The sauce consisted of diced onions, diced green peppers, three ancient sweet peppers, one anaheim pepper, two cubanelle peppers, garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle powder, and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes.  These were sauteed for about an hour with vegetable oil so that everything could cook down.  After an hour they were put into a blender and... well... made into sauce.  I strained the sauce and then poured it over the tortillas.  The tortillas were then topped with more Mexican cheese, and this was the result....


I put the pan into the oven and cooked it at 325 F until the cheese was melted and the dish was hot.


Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the tacos.  I bought flank steak and marinated it overnight.  The marinade consisted of lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chives, and a little bit of oil.  I baked the steak in the oven and then cut it up into little pieces like so...


After I did that, I simply added the meat to taco shells and added cheese and lettuce.  I personally put siracha sauce on mine, but that's obviously not something that everyone is going to want to do.  I just happen to like spicy food! 

:-)  Anyways... here is a picture of the final dinner plate with both dishes on it...


A final word of warning... this dinner is extremely filling.  My stomach has been referred to as a "bottomless pit," and I passed out about an hour after finishing dinner.  I think it was worth it, though.  Enjoy!

-Dante

No comments:

Post a Comment